Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Sign of the Times

LM Sugarbush LLC has an official roadside sign! I have been itching to make a sign for the business for years and finally had the opportunity to do so. It has a somewhat interesting story behind it so thought it would be a nice story to share. 

 

The sign started out with a metal horse. The horse originally belonged to Robert’s great-grandfather.  The horse had been hanging on a family member’s tool shed for years. Robert built a new barn for the family member over the summer and they offered the horse to him, knowing that I’m a huge horse lover. 


 

The metal horse sat in my barn for a few months, un-noticed for the most part. About a month ago, Jen, Nic, Robert and I were working at the farm, trimming bushes and mowing grass. We were working at the end of the driveway when I decided to repaint the existing sign which was rusting away and illegible. The old sign was a cast iron rectangle which included the address and an 8 pointed, very incorrectly drawn maple leaf. I did a horrendous job repainting the sign. It looked like my two year old son painted it. In fact, he could probably have done a better job.

 

So terrible was my attempt to resurrect the old sign, I was motivated to build a new sign and fulfill my longtime wish to have an official sign for the business. The metal horse immediately popped into my mind and I began pondering plans for the new sign. 

 

I sanded and re-painted the metal horse a shiny black. I used a maple lead stencil and spray painted a green maple leaf on the horse. I bought two treated deck corner posts, a board, address numbers, and mailbox letters from Home Depot. I crammed all of this in my little car, along with Mason in his car seat. I should get a medal for that feat alone!


 

I brought my supplies home and my wonderful hubby Robert helped me with the construction. We cut the board in half and attached both sections to the deck corner posts. We then attached the metal horse to the top board and added the address numbers “321” on the bottom board. Using the mailbox letter stickers, Robert added LM Sugarbush to the left hand side and Maple Syrup on the right. 

 

Nic dug the holes in the ground and used quickcrete to secure the posts. Finished product: an amazing new sign!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know if you like the blog!